Undeniably, I am a chocolate-chip kind of gal but sometimes, there is nothing like a tart lemon baked good that just calls and slays me, like these Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins.
Plus, these little babies are vegan and preservative-free and can be yummy both as a dessert or even a quick breakfast. So much better to know that they are a bit healthier than the ones at the coffee shop while I nosh out or is it in and around and through these little goodies.
Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
- 2 Flax Eggs (To make 1 flax seed egg, mix 1 tbsp of flaxseed meal with 2 and 1/2 tbsp of water)
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 tbsp of lemon zest
- 1 tsp vanilla or lemon extract
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil or grape seed oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or agave nectar
- 1/3 cup natural sugar
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 and 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour or all-purpose flour
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice or almond milk
4. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Be careful not to overmix.
5. Fold in poppy seeds.
6. Pour batter evenly between muffin tins. This recipe should make 12 muffins. 7. Bake for 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center of one of the muffins comes out clean. Let cool on a rack. 8. Prepare glaze by mixing together sugar and almond milk.
9. Spoon glaze over each muffin.
This recipe makes 12 muffins. After inserting the recipe into Recipe Builder, each muffin comes out to 180 calories.